In 2002 I was diagnosed with a lung disorder directly attributable to exposure to secondhand smoke at the bars as I have never smoked a day in my life and I live in a smoke-free home. The pulmonologist said that I had to stop bartending and waitressing immediately or suffer increasingly adverse health consequences. I followed his advice and quit working at the bars.
Unfortunately, the damage to my lungs was already done and is irreversible. I struggle with breathing difficulties on a daily basis and will have to be on medication for the rest of my life. I had no idea that exposure to secondhand smoke for such a short time would have such dire consequences on my health and affect the quality of my life in such an extreme way. I doubt bar workers and waitresses working today have any more information about the dangers of secondhand smoke than I did.
Please do the right thing and protect all workers from secondhand smoke. Smokers can go outside to smoke…workers should not have to choose between their health and making a living.
Jane Doe - Another Company, LLC
Do you support smoke-free workplaces? Join those in Edinburgh working to make a healthier town for all.
Do you have a story of how secondhand smoke affected you or a loved one while at work? This will not be used in any way without your permission.
Dr. Doug Arnold, ECSC Superintendent
Andrew Derry, ISDH
JT Doane, EdinburghTown Manager
SaraBeth Drybread, John R. Drybread
Kylee Jones, Healthy Communities
Keyen Macklin, Shelby Co. Drug Free
Tiffany Nichols, ISDH
Donald Peek, Indiana DAV Commander
Miriam Rooks, Johnson Co. Health Dept.
Allison Small, ECSC Nurse
Bob Smith, Johnson Co. Health Dept.
Daniel Teter, Edinburgh Parks Dept.
Nancy Voris, Tobacco Free Johnson Co.
Sarah Ward, WindRose Health Network
Taylor Williams, American Lung Association